Frequently Asked Questions
- What is usenet?
- What newsgroups do you carry?
- How many concurrent connections am I allowed?
- How does Usenethost count downloads? Are headers counted?
- Are uploads (posts) counted?
- Where can I find usenet faqs?
- What can I do if port 119 (NNTP) is blocked on my network?
- How do I join movie files, or split files?
- What are .rar or .r01, .r02 ... files?
- Why doesn't the size of the files I downloaded match my usage stats?
- What should my mail server setting be?
- How do I cancel an account?
- How do I contact usenethost?
- Why can't I download any more?
- How can I get more credits before my Automated renewal date?
- Can I renew two times in a row for extra credits?
- If I manually renew two days before an automated renewal date do I have to use the data in two days?
- I would like to close my account. Can I have money back for the time/credits I didn't use?
- I just signed up and cannot post to usenet. why?
- Do unused download credits roll over when I renew?
- Can I log in from multiple computers at the same time?
- Are you Web TV compatible ?
Questions & Answers
4. How does usenethost count downloads? Are headers counted?
All bytes are counted as they leave our servers. Text articles and binary attachments are included in the download total. Headers are counted and displayed in your usage statistics.
6. Where can I find usenet faqs?
8. How do I join movie files, or split files?
If you are looking to join files (usually MPEG's, AVI's), either small ones into one large one, or combine parts into one, check out Freeware's list of file splitting utilities: http://winfiles.cnet.com/apps/98/file-split.html
9. What are .rar or .r01, .r02 ... files?
RAR files are compressed archives (just like zip files) that contain any number and type of files. To get access to these files, make sure that you download all the parts (.r01, .r02, .r03, ...) and then run WinRAR to extract the files.
Get WinRAR from: http://www.rarsoft.com/
10. Why doesn't the size of the file I downloaded match my usage stats?
Please remember that binary attachements are uuencoded by the posting software, which converts the binary data to text for transfer over the internet. This can add as much as 40% to the size of the file. Your news reader uudecodes the attachment after it is downloaded, before it is saved to your harddrive.
14. Why can't I download any more?
Do you have credits? Send us an email to verify your account
17. If I manually renew two days before an Automated renewal date do I have to use the data in two days?
NO, Automated renewal dates are reset after every Manual or Automated renewal based on your reoccurring rate.
No, paid credit expires at the end of your pay period.